Speech by Mayor
Information about the village
The village Veľký Kýr is situated in the Danubian Lowland, and sits on both sides of The Old Channel which feeds the river Nitra. Both the village and municipality of Veľký Kýr belong to the district of Nové Zámky in the region of Nitra in South West Slovakia. The municipality covers an area of 2363 hectares and the centre of the village lies at an altitude of 132 m. It has a population of 3038. Archaeological findings show that the village has been inhabited since the Stone Age. Veľký Kýr was first mentioned in The Document of King Koloman as Ker in 1113. It was stated here that he donated the village to Zobor Abbey. The village was probably named after one of the seven legendary old-hungarian tribes, The Kér. The Zobor Document of 1113 shows that after the death of the leader Huba, the village became the property of Zobor Abbey and its inhabitants became its lieges. In the 1st century AD, Romans built a border watch-tower (castellum) which was later settled by Avars and later still by Slavs because one of the most important trade routes, The Amber Road passed through here. The village suffered from many wars because due to its geographical situation various forces often plundered and burned the village. In 1882, the entire village burned. From 1349 the village became the property of the Esztergom Archbishopric, which was rented to yeoman families up to 16th century. The first church, ST Clement's was built in the late 10th or early 11th century, during the period in which the Hungarians adopted the Christian faith.The church was destroyed during the Tartar invasion. The name of a village land - Kelemenke is still remembered and the Archaeological finds from the church remind us of its past .The Turks Owned this area from 1633 onwards except for the conquest of Nové Zámky and Nitra, which occupied Veľký Kýr until 1685. During this period the village was unpopulated, its major parts were devastated and the church crashed down. In the early 17th century the village experienced its greatest boom. According to the old copper sealing - stick, Veľký Kýr was the small town - In 1942 it obtained the privilege posisition of holding an annual market. Veľký Kýr and Malý Kýr merged into Nitriansky Kýr. In 1948, the village was renamed Milanovce and since 1992, it has been called Veľký Kýr. There is a Roman Catholic church of Exaltation of Holy Cross from the 14th century, which was rebuilt in the Baroque style in 1786, the Chapel of the Holy Trinity from 1793 and a number of sacred relics. Residents live a rich social and cultural life, which has been provided for decades by: local cultural centre), social organisation CSEMADOK, HUBERT Hunting Association, the Fire Association, Fishing Association, Pensioners' clubs, civic associations and folk dance group Mórinca, rock bands CsukaMájOlaj and Hajlok Blues Band, great football club FC Kýr, hockey club HC Kýr and other sport clubs. the Recreational area of the village is formed by the line of vineyards known as Čerdaút which is also connected with CSERDAFEST, organised annual event which is famous for the traditional tasting of wine and its music festival.